Oven roasting vegetables brings out the natural sweetness that lies within. For Passover we roasted fennel and caullflower both to be served at room temperature with a simple dressing. It went over quite well with our guests. Last night I roasted up a head of red cabbage. So good! The outermost leaves got a bit charred so we just tossed them but the inner leaves turned soft but not mushy and were just sweetened a bit from the roasting. The core softened to the point where my husband said it was like eating bone marrow…soft, tender and delicious. This will definitely be making a repeat visit to our dinner table!
Roasted Red Cabbge
- 1 head red cabbage, cut into wedges
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Place cabbage wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Toss with oil to coat all sides of the cabbage wedges
- Season with salt and pepper
- Put in oven and cook for 20 – 30 minutes. Depending on the size of the wedges.
Feel free to add whatever spices or herbs you wish. I did sprinkle mine with some red pepper flakes. A splash of apple cider vinegar and a bit of brown sugar would be a nice idea too. Somewhat of an homage to German style Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage.