For my Dad’s birthday cake we made him a chocolate cake with buttercream icing. This is the recipe for that icing. It was so delicious! It is based on Gale Gand’s recipe from Food Network which can be found here.
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla (I put int 2 tsp because I like lots of vanilla in just about everything)
- 1 – 2 tbsp heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- 1 – 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Mix the sugar and the butter. The original recipe says to use a stand mixer which I don’t have so I used my trusty electric mixer. Worked fine.
- Beat at medium for 3 minutes
- Add the lemon juice and beat another minute.
- Slowly add the vanilla and the cream. Beat an additional 1 minute. Add additional cream if needed to make the frosting spreadable.
- Spread the creamy deliciousness of your choice of cake or cupcakes.
Warning – this icing is VERY VERY SWEET! Just putting that out there.