I had pulled a recipe for chicken with figs and lemon from my recipe box planning to make it for dinner last night. Only problem is that I took it to work to retype it and left it there. So I had to improvise. Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 dried figs, chopped
- 1 tbsp or so brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp or so lemon juice
- handful chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in medium saute pan over medium-high heat
- Add onion and garlic. Saute, stirring now and then until they are golden brown and translucent. The red onion will turn a very pretty reddish-pink color.
- Add the chicken and the figs. I ended up cutting the breasts into chicken nugget sized pieces because the kids had asked if we could have chicken nuggets.
- Cook the chicken until browned on one side and the flip to cook the other side. (It shouldn’t take that long to cook the chicken maybe 55 minutes per side).
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the brown sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Once the chicken is browned on both sides, pour the sauce over the chicken and stir.
- Cook for 1 – 2 minutes more.
- Right before serving toss the cilantro on and serve.
I served it with whole wheat couscous and a bowl of sliced yellow peppers. Oh, I also tossed a few more figs on the top to make it look pretty.